As of April 2021, 42 ICSs are covering regions of England with the aim to be completely functional by April 2022.
The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (CSP) responded to the NHS England consultation on the future of integrated care systems (ICSs), calling for them to include senior level rehabilitation leads within their structure.
The CSP is welcoming a shift towards more collaboration and integration between healthcare sectors and settings. This has been outlined in a new Health and Social Care Bill that was recently introduced to Parliament (July 2021)
Aim of Integrated Care Systems:
- Further developing populace wellbeing and medical care.
- Handling inconsistent results and access
- Improving usefulness and an incentive for money.
- Assisting the NHS with supporting more extensive social and financial turn of events.
Core Elements of ICS:
- The ICS association comprises every single neighbourhood accomplice, including NHS associations, nearby specialists, and different partners.
- The ICS NHS Body is the legal NHS association that will assume the obligations of Clinical Commissioning Groups and any further liabilities assigned by NHS England and NHS Improvement.
Every ICS association will be liable for concurring on a coordinated consideration technique for further developing medical care, social consideration, and general wellbeing across the whole populace, utilising the best bits of knowledge from information accessible, developed base up on nearby evaluations of requirements and resources distinguished at place level and focusing in on lessening disparities and tending to the results of the pandemic for networks.
The ICS association is relied upon to be set up locally and together by the important neighbourhood specialists and the ICS NHS body, advancing from existing plans and common concurrence on its terms of reference, enrollment, methods of operating, and organisation.
Responsibilities of the ICS NHS body:
- Fostering an arrangement to meet the populace’s wellbeing needs inside their space, guaranteeing NHS administrations and execution are reestablished following the pandemic. That established principles and Long-Term Plan responsibilities are met.
- Design assets to deliver the arrangement by choosing how the ICS will spend its general assignment across the framework.
- Building up administration courses of action to help aggregate responsibility between partner associations for entire framework conveyance and execution guarantees the arrangement is carried out successfully inside a ‘system financial envelope’ set by NHS England and NHS Improvement.
- Driving framework execution of the People Plans by adjusting partners across every ICS to create and uphold the ‘one workforce.’
- Driving framework-wide activity on digital and information to further developed results.
- Orchestrating wellbeing administrations by the allotted assets across the ICS impression through a scope of collective authority exercises.
- Utilise signed-up information and advanced abilities to comprehend nearby needs, track conveyance of plans, monitor and address variety and drive consistent improvement in execution and results.
- Working along with councils to put resources into neighbourhood local area associations and framework, through collaboration between wellbeing, social consideration, and different partners, guaranteeing that the NHS has a full impact in tight and monetary turn of events and ecological sustainability.
- Driving joint work on domains, acquirement, store network, and business techniques to augment an incentive for cash across the framework and backing the more extensive turn of events.
- Driving the arrangement and execution of crisis response.
The advancement of framework working over ongoing years and during the pandemic has exhibited the indispensable significance of joint effort and organisational working. ICS aims to deliver better, more integrated care for patients.
Chahal, S. (2020, December 2). INTEGRATED CARE SYSTEMS STILL ON TRACK FOR 2021. First Practice Management. https://www.firstpracticemanagement.co.uk/blog/2020-blog-posts/integrated-care-systems-still-on-track-for-2021/.
ICSs required to have ‘smart digital and Data’ platforms by 2022. Digital Health. (2021, July 5). https://www.digitalhealth.net/2021/06/icss-required-to-have-smart-digital-and-data-platforms-by-2022/.
Integrated care systems. Wilmington Healthcare. (n.d.). https://wilmingtonhealthcare.com/what-we-do/data-marketing-and-marketing-insight/integrated-care-systems/.
Medway, K. (2021, February). Integrated Care System transition. Nhs choices. https://www.kentandmedwayccg.nhs.uk/about-us/who-we-are/ICS/ics-transition.
Next steps to building strong and effective INTEGRATED care systems across England. NHS Confederation. (2020, November 26). https://www.nhsconfed.org/publications/next-steps-building-strong-and-effective-integrated-care-systems-across-england
Venning, E., & McGough, R. (2020, December 10). Next steps for Integrated care systems, PLACE-BASED partnerships and provider Collaboratives – By April 2022 – government, public sector – UK. Welcome to Mondaq. https://www.mondaq.com/uk/government-contracts-procurement-ppp/1014818/next-steps-for-integrated-care-systems-place-based-partnerships-and-provider-collaboratives-by-april-2022.
* Contact Reach Physiotherapy for a list of references used for this blog content.